About a month ago, I received a copy of Priscilla Ahn's debut album, A Good Day. Needless to say, I was playing "Wallflower" and "Astronaut" until the lyrics and melodies hummed in my dreams at night. After some added research I found out Ms. Ahn grew up in the same city as myself (Reading, PA) before pursuing her lifelong dream as an artist.
MusicUnderFire thanks Priscilla for the opportunity to ask her a few questions amid her blossoming dream.
Your new album is titled A Good Day. Where did you came up with such a positive sound while your life has been so hectic?
Priscilla Ahn: Well, fortunately, my life up until June 10th, has been pretty quiet and chill. I thought I'd name the album A Good Day after the last track on the album. While we were recording it, I loved it so much, and I also love the positive message it gives, that I just sort of yelled out --"this is gonna be the title of the album!" Whenever I think of a good day, in the past, or having one, I feel a little happier.
You have mentioned that your song "Wallflower" refers to you generally being alone at parties when you first arrived in L.A. Now that you have settled in, how have you adjusted to your new life in the city?
Priscilla: Yes, I have. Also, I don't go to those kinds of parties anymore. And if I do, I'm usually with really good friends, or my boyfriend, so I'm never really alone anyway. The social things I'll go to now are either shows, or dinner parties with close friends. it took me a few years to find these people though. They are what make L.A. home to me now. I'm very lucky to have them.
When away from the crowds and the bright lights, what do you do to stay sane?
Priscilla: I love my "alone" time. After I play a show, I need to chill out for a minute. Even though my shows are pretty mellow, I find myself being exhausted after playing. It's a lot of standing, and also, a lot of energy I'm giving out to the audience. So afterwards, I like to sit by myself and take a few deep breaths, and sometimes write in my journal. Then I'm re energized to go back out there and sign CDs or whatever. Also before shows, there's usually a lot of down time, so I like to walk around whatever city I'm in, and maybe get something to eat. It's very peaceful.
I'm particularly fond of your song "Astronaut". To me this is a dreamier song than "Dream" or "Lullaby". What is your favorite song on your album and why?
Priscilla: Thank you! That's very cool. I think my favorite song is "A Good Day". I love the sound of it. It's very simple, but at the same time, sort of not simple. We threw the song into reverse, and put pieces of it in backwards, here and there, which gives it that backwards effect.
Going along with the theme of dreams, if you had any other career besides a music artist, what could you see yourself doing?
Priscilla: Maybe being a therapist, or a school guidance counselor. I think people are very fascinating. Other than that, I could see myself traveling a lot, having kids, painting or something.
What is up next for Priscilla Ahn and where can fans catch her this summer?
Priscilla: I'm about to do a show here in West Virginia in about 20 minutes, opening up for Jakob Dylan. And then I'm gonna hit the road in a few weeks, doing some of my own shows, and then some opening up for Amos Lee and Willie Nelson, which I'm pretty stoked about! I think I'm doing a show at the Tin Angel in Philadelphia very soon too! I hope you can come!
Thanks a ton again, Priscilla.
On her website, Priscilla Ahn's tour dates, blog, store, music and other neat features can be found. If you like what you hear support her by buying A Good Day.
Labels: Interview, Priscilla Ahn